There are a lot of articles out there for diabetics and pre-diabetics giving them information on how to combat their disease. In this article we want to give some suggestions on how to not become a type-2 diabetic. The tenants are very simple, so we will break them down in the next section. First it is important to learn the main causes of type 2 diabetes.
- High blood pressure
- High blood triglyceride (fat) levels
- Gestational diabetes or giving birth to a baby weighing more than 9 pounds
- High-fat and carbohydrate diet
- High alcohol intake
- Sedentary lifestyle
- Obesity or being overweight
- Aging: Increasing age is a significant risk factor for type 2 diabetes. The risk of developing type 2 diabetes begins to rise significantly at about age 45, and rises considerably after age 65.
These risk factors can significantly increase the probability you will become a type 2 diabetic in your lifetime.
It seems pretty obvious that reducing these risk factors will in turn reduce your risk of developing type 2 diabetes and that would be correct. The question then becomes, how can I reduce these factors? Plenty of exercise, sleeping well, have a nutritional and healthy diet, drinking lots of water and having regular checkups will all be beneficial. Taking a good multivitamin to make sure your body has what it needs to keep you healthy is also very important. Let’s examine some best practices when living a healthy lifestyle and will help you prevent this disease.
- Change your diet very slowly – If you over-adjust or try to change all at once, you won’t be able to maintain. Make sure that you alter your diet in a way that is sustainable for your long term goals.
- Plan all of your meals in advance – Having something to look forward too is a big step in feeling satisfied, make sure that when you have a big meal you know when to stop. Preplanning is a good tip.
- Do the grocery shopping yourself – If you crave something make sure it isn’t in the house. Reducing easy access to cheat foods is ideal.
- Always grocery shop on a full stomach – Your health and your pocketbook will thank you.
- Be careful what foods you buy – Many foods are marketed as health but in reality they are not. Be sure all foods you buy are vetted properly.
- Always Hydrate – Staying hydrated is one of the biggest things you can do. Google a formula and make sure you stick to it. Drink at least 8 cups of water a day.
- Cut out the soda and artificial sweeteners – The jury may still be out on how certain sweeteners affect your health, but it is nearly universally accepted that sweet drinks make you crave sweet snacks. Swap to green tea or coffee. Don’t add cream!
- Eat out less frequently and when you cook at home, use good ingredients like olive oil.
- Try to cut sugar and fats out of your diet to a healthy degree. IE: Use mustard instead of mayo, ketchup, or BBQ sauce, and add probiotics to your diet
- Go out and play an hour a day, adult or child alike. Make it fun outside enjoy the surroundings and fresh air when you can.
- Eat lots of Omega-3 fatty acids – these are very important for your health. Keep everything running slickly and smoothly in your circulatory system.
There are so many more things that we can’t list them all here, but try some of these tips and you will be surprised at how healthy you feel. The best method of combatting type 2 diabetes is prevention. Keep visiting our blog as we will continue to impart methods which help mitigate the onset of type 2 diabetes.